Visit Our Blog

You should follow us on twitter here

DVLA number plate transfer rules

Bookmark and Share

general faq’s | buying faq’s | selling faq’s

Can I transfer my private number plate?


See our quick checklist below:
  1. You must be the owner of the vehicle
    i.e. the Registered Keeper named on the V5 log book of the donor vehicle
  2. The number plate must be transferable.
    Check the V5/V5C log book. Look for the words 'non transferable', usually at the bottom of the front page.
  3. Tax disc on the donor vehicle should not be expired.
    You may be able to transfer the private number plate if the tax disc expired less than 12 months ago, and you declared a SORN straightaway.
  4. Tax disc on the receiving vehicle should be current.
    If the tax disc on the receiving vehicle has expired, you will need to apply for one at the same time as the number plate transfer.
  5. The vehicle should have a current MOT (if applicable).
    You may still be able to transfer the number plate, if the MOT expired less than 12 months ago.
  6. The donor vehicle should be 'testable'.
    Some vehicles, such as tractors and milk floats, don't come under the DVLA's number plate transfer scheme. If that's the case, the number plate can't be transferred.
  7. Q and NIQ number plates cannot be transferred


For full rules see

Ready to go ahead? See how to transfer a private car number plate.